Please use this FAQ forum to post questions on how to use your community site that have not been covered in the How to section.

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do I set up a Group with privacy settings?
Q. How do I set up a Group with privacy settings?

A. To create a group, go to the Groups tab and click the link at the foot of the page to "Add a group."

Next, fill in information about your group. Give your group a name and be sure to upload a group image that's roughly square in size. Fill out a description for your group, which members will see when looking for groups to join. If your group has another website, or a location, you can add it here.

In the right side of the page, choose which features your group will have. You can add a comment wall, discussion forum, text box, and RSS reader to your group.

Privacy Settings
Don't forget to choose the privacy settings for your group. You can allow anyone to join the group, or moderate membership. If you choose to moderate membership, new members will have to apply to join and you'll be able to review their request before they can join. You can allow members to invite other people to join and allow people to request membership if you'd like. If you turn off both of these options, the group will be invite-only - and you'll be the only one who can send invites to join the group.
Is it possible to add a bit of detail to my profile, like a mini CV or links to a web site or blog?
Q. Is it possible to add a bit of detail to my profile, like a mini CV or links to a web site or blog?

A. Your profile page comes with your very own blog, where you can express your opinions and gain a following. Your profile page also has a text box, a versatile feature where you can add widgets, embed videos and insert links to other websites. You could also add a mini CV to the text box, however you won't be able to attach an individual file.

You can add widgets to bookmark your favorite links and share them with your friends, to poll members or friends.

Profile Privacy
By default, anyone can view your profile page and list of friends on a public social network. However, you can change the privacy level if you'd like at any time. You can set your profile to be visible to everyone (the default), to only members of the social network, or to just your friends on the social network.
To change the privacy of your profile page, click on the "Settings" link in the right column of the page and head to the Privacy page. Choose the level of privacy you'd like from the first question on this page.

By default, all photos, videos, and blog posts you add to the social network will still be visible to everyone. You can also choose the privacy level of the content you add to the social network from this page.

If you've changed the privacy of your profile page, visitors who don’t have access to your profile page will only be able to view your name, photo and basic information, like age, gender and location.
Network Creators and Administrators will still be able to view all member profile pages in full, regardless of privacy settings.
Is it possible to add an event to my profile so that people know I'm attending? If so, how can this be done? Thanks!
Hi Ulrike,

When someone generates an event on the site, the event will automatically state that you are attending unless you state otherwise.

If you view your own 'My Page' you should be able to see that you are attending. This is also what others will see too.

Does that help?

Siobhan

Ulrike Knies-Bamforth said:
Is it possible to add an event to my profile so that people know I'm attending? If so, how can this be done? Thanks!
Thanks for the info, Siobhan. How about if I want to let people know that I'm attending an event that someone else has posted? How would I indicate that? Thanks again!

Siobhan McDermit said:
Hi Ulrike,

When someone generates an event on the site, the event will automatically state that you are attending unless you state otherwise.

If you view your own 'My Page' you should be able to see that you are attending. This is also what others will see too.

Does that help?

Siobhan

Hi Ulrike,

Choose the event you wish to attend. On the right hand side you will see two boses. One for 'Admin Options' and one for 'Your RSVP'. Just choose one of the options,
You:
Will attend
Might attend
Will not attend

your choice of option can be seen by the rest of the network.

Hope this answers your query,

Siobhan

Attending (2) View All

Thanks for the info, Siobhan. How about if I want to let people know that I'm attending an event that someone else has posted? How would I indicate that? Thanks again!

Siobhan McDermit said:
Hi Ulrike,

Does that help?

Siobhan

I see! Funny enough, not all events seem to offer this option, for example the HIE event on the 6th of May doesn't, which is a shame! Thanks for your help!
Hi there, Siobhan, Quick question: I've invited friends, who are not part of the Life Sciences Scotland community on-line, to join the MedTech group. It appears that although they indicate they want to join the MedTech group when they sign up, this does not register and they "only" join the community. What can I do or is there something about the settings that can be changed? Many thanks, Ulrike
Hi Ulrike,

Sorry just spotted your question just now. For security purposes, your friends would need to join the wider community network before they can access a group within that network. Once they have joined, they will then be able to join the MedTech Group and set up their preferences for that group.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Siobhan
Hi Siobhan, it's me again... The link "invite a friend" in the left hand column of the Community Home page is broken and I cannot seem to find it anywhere else, either. Can you help? I am sure it used to be around. Thanks a lot in advance, Ulrike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Life Sciences in Scotland Partners

Keep in touch

To keep in touch  with the latest news  from the life sciences sector in Scotland, register for the Life Sciences in Scotland newsletter.

Be part of the conversation on Life Sciences in Scotland's LinkedIn group.

© 2017   Created by Siobhan McDermit.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service